Bohol : More than just the Home of the Chocolate Hills and Tarsiers

My mother was born in Tagbilaran, Bohol, The City of Peace and Friendship.
I remember as a kid, I have always wondered how it is to explore Bohol’s famous landmark, the Chocolate Hills. One of the three National Geological Monuments in the Philippines, this natural  geological formation of limestone hills has always been a source of wonder for me. 
I sometimes ask my mom if one can really take a bite and enjoy its chocolate-ly goodness, she always gives me her sweet knowing smile every time I get to ask her that.
Another thing that caught my curiosity were the Philippine Tarsiers.  These cute little animals, are no larger than an adult man’s hand and is active at night when their sight is better. The Philippine Tarsier is known as one of the smallest primate in the world and is now included in the national protected wildlife species. The Tarsier Sanctuary can be located in a forest in Bohol where a sanctuary is established to protect them. There, they can maneuver quickly around trees and, being shy, hide from noisy humans before they are detected.
I have always been in awe of these two wonders of Bohol and growing up, being curious about it, makes me want to learn more about Bohol and what it has to offer.  Surrounded by more than 50 islands, Bohol has its own long stretch of white sand beaches, best coral reefs for snorkeling, historical monuments and churches, whale sharks, dolphin watching, crystal-clear river cruises on top of the famous Chocolate Hills and tarsiers.
Located in the southern part of the Visayas region, Bohol is the tenth largest island out of the 7,000 + in the Philippines. One can visit Bohol via plane to Tagbilaran from Manila, or via a 2-hour boat ride from Cebu. 
Though not yet as internationally well-known as Palawan and the Island of Boracay, Bohol has its own mystical charm with its closeness to nature that would definitely capture the heart of any adventurer visiting the island.





Comments